Syrian war: ‘Death fleet' arrived: civilians killed, Aleppo assaulted (video)

20:30 Nov. 12, 2016

‘Death fleet' arrived: civilians killed, Aleppo assaulted (video)

Incendiary bombs dropped on Aleppo (Screenshot from YouTube)

Putin-Assad forces renewed attacks on rebel areas and civilians in Aleppo 

A flotilla of Russian warships is now in the eastern Mediterranean off the Syrian coast after being sent to reinforce Russia's military in the area, a naval commander said on state television, AFP reports.

The commander of Russia's flagship ‘Admiral Kuznetsov' aircraft carrier, Sergei Artamonov, said via videolink that the ships are now in the "designated zone... in the eastern Mediterranean" and "are now jointly carrying out tasks, manoeuvering to the west of the Syrian coast".

The battle group has travelled to Syria from the North Sea through the English Channel in the largest naval deployment in recent years as part of Russia's military intervention in Syria.

Russia has been flying a bombing campaign in Syria for the past year in support of President Bashar al-Assad and has deployed a naval contingent to back up its operation.

Read also Instead of shelling Aleppo Russian ‘Death fleet' reportedly chasing subs

Meanwhile, the Syrian army captured the Dahiyet al-Assad district of western Aleppo on Saturday, reversing all the gains made by rebels two weeks into their counter-attack against government-held areas, Reuters reports referring to a war monitor and rebel official.

State television said the army swept the suburban area for landmines after regaining full control.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a British-based war monitor, said the army and its allies made several advances on the divided city's western edge this week, hampering the rebel offensive to break the siege of opposition-held districts.

After heavy air strikes pounded the area, Syrian government forces took Minian village and nearby positions, which were captured by rebels last month, the Observatory said.

Read also Putin-Assad forces attacked town with ballistic missile – but missed

Zakaria Malahifji, head of the political office of the Fastaqim rebel group fighting in Aleppo, confirmed the army's advances: "Of course, when the regime takes control, it has a negative effect, but there is persistence" among the factions… And hopefully there will be change in the coming days."

Nine civilians were killed by Russian airstrikes on Friday in Syrian province of Aleppo, among them three children, Turkish state agency Anadolu reports.

"30 people were injured when Russian warplanes struck residential areas in the opposition-held Kfar Dael village," Beibars Meshal, a civil defense official in Aleppo, announced.

Moreover, the Russian air forces have also bombed Daret Izze area near Aleppo, using napalm and white phosphorus shells. The exact number of victims is unknown at the moment.

Read also One more Russian top notch helicopter destroyed in Syria (dramatic video)

A local activist Abu Ammar said that the Russian forces fired at Minyan village in the south-west of Aleppo as well. Opposition forces had to leave the village.

Read also How Russia backs crimes against civilians (Infographics)

comments powered by Disqus

RELATED NEWS

Crime17:01 Dec. 4, 2016
Germany expects Russian cyber-attacks during Bundestag elections
Crime13:34 Dec. 4, 2016
No further progress on forces' withdrawal registred in Donbas
Crime12:15 Dec. 3, 2016
Russia's central bank loses at least 2 billion rubles in cyber attack
Crime11:27 Dec. 3, 2016
Frontline situation getting worse, number of militant attacks growing
Crime17:06 Dec. 1, 2016
Russian aggression in Donbas: 3 Ukrainian soldiers wounded overnight
Ukraine Today WEEKLY DIGEST
Subscribe to receive regular email updates about Ukraine and Eastern Europe
vk154998