10:12 Jul. 15, 2016
Hollande says the deadly incident was clearly a 'terrorist' assault
French President Francois Hollande announced he would extend the country's state of emergency — due to end on July 26 — by three more months.
The announcement was made following the deadly attack in Nice late on Thursday, when a truck plowed into a crowd of people, killing at least 84.
The assailant was identified by the local media referring to the police source as a 31-year-old Tunisian-born Frenchman.
He had been known to the police for common crimes but not to the intelligence services, the source said.
The attack came eight months after Islamic State gunmen and suicide bombers struck Paris on a festive Friday evening.
Hollande said in a pre-dawn address that he was calling up military and police reservists to relieve forces worn out by a state of emergency begun after the militant group killed 130 people in the French capital in November.
Based on reporting by Reuters