Putin's war in Syria: 'New hell in Aleppo': Russia accused of napalm attack on Syrian civilians (video)

14:02 Sep. 26, 2016

'New hell in Aleppo': Russia accused of napalm attack on Syrian civilians (video)

Incendiary bombs dropped on Aleppo aftermath (Screenshot from SMART News Agency YouTube channel)

Russian and Syrian warplanes attacked with napalm, cluster bombs and ground-penetrating bunker buster munitions

Russia was accused of barbarism last night as the besieged Syrian city of Aleppo suffered an unprecedented and intensifying blitz, The Times report.

Russian and Syrian warplanes dropped napalm, cluster bombs and ground-penetrating bunker buster munitions to try to destroy rebel resistance. An emergency meeting of the UN security council, called by the US, UK and France, heard that Russia and Syria launched 150 airstrikes in 72 hours. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a monitoring group, reported that 213 civilians had died in Aleppo since the ceasefire collapsed last week.

Read also Another Russian airstrike over Aleppo ahead of UN Security Council "Syrian" session - AFP

France said that "war crimes" were being committed and that the UN faced a moment of truth. When the Syrian ambassador was called to speak at the security council, the British, French and US representatives walked out.

Matthew Rycroft, Britain's ambassador to the UN, said: "The regime and Russia have . . . plunged to new depths and unleashed a new hell on Aleppo".

Ban Ki Moon, the UN secretary- general, said he was "appalled by the chilling escalation". Samantha Power, the US ambassador to the UN, accused the Kremlin of "barbarism not counter- terrorism".

The four-year siege of Syria's second city is at a seemingly pivotal moment, with the regime backed by Russian and Iranian forces trying to pulverise rebel-held areas into submission despite the presence of about 300,000 civilians, The Times explain. Hospitals in Aleppo were overwhelmed.

"I've never seen so many people dying in one place," said Mohammad Zein Khandaqani, a member of the medical council.

Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary, said that Russia should be investigated for war crimes after the attack on a UN convoy last week that killed 20 workers.

Local media unleash the videos showing the course and consequences of Russian attacks with incendiary and cluster bombs of the previous day.

comments powered by Disqus

RELATED NEWS

Crime17:01 Dec. 4, 2016
Germany expects Russian cyber-attacks during Bundestag elections
Crime13:34 Dec. 4, 2016
No further progress on forces' withdrawal registred in Donbas
Crime12:15 Dec. 3, 2016
Russia's central bank loses at least 2 billion rubles in cyber attack
Crime11:27 Dec. 3, 2016
Frontline situation getting worse, number of militant attacks growing
Crime17:06 Dec. 1, 2016
Russian aggression in Donbas: 3 Ukrainian soldiers wounded overnight
Ukraine Today WEEKLY DIGEST
Subscribe to receive regular email updates about Ukraine and Eastern Europe
vk154998