19:25 Oct. 11, 2016
Russian jets resume heavy bombing of eastern Aleppo, rebels refuse to surrender
Russian jets resumed heavy bombing of rebel-held eastern Aleppo on Tuesday after several days of relative calm, Reuters report referring rebel official and the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group.
"There is renewed bombardment and it is heavy," Zakaria Malhifji of the Aleppo-based Fastaqim rebel group told Reuters.
The Observatory said at least eight people were killed in Bustan al-Qasr and Fardous neighborhoods. Later today new information appeared with bigger, but still not final deathtoll.
"More than 30 people killed and 60 injured as 30 airstrikes targeted civilian areas in Aleppo city," Raed Al Saleh of Syrian Civil Defence reported on Twitter.
Aleppo deathtoll report on Oct. 11, 2016 (by Raed Al Saleh on Twitter)
Moscow and Damascus reduced air raids in the northern city last week. The Syrian army said it was partly to allow civilians to leave opposition-held eastern neighborhoods.
The Syrian government said rebels holed up in Aleppo can leave with their families if they lay down their arms. Insurgents denounced that offer as a deception.
Local media reveal the video of the bombings aftermath and rescue operations.
President Bashar al-Assad seeks the complete recapture of Aleppo, Syria's biggest city before the war, and which has been divided between government and opposition control for years. Assad's ally Russia has meanwhile built up its forces in Syria since a brief ceasefire collapsed last month.
Russia's intervention a year ago has helped the government side gain the upper hand against rebels on many frontlines in the Syrian conflict, including Aleppo where the opposition-held sector has been completely encircled for weeks.