15:42 Nov. 17, 2016
Mariinka and Mariupol outskirts remain to be the hottest warzones in Donbas
The OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine has seen the biggest number of ceasefire violations along the frontline in Donbas in 2016, the mission's Principal Deputy Chief Monitor Alexander Hug said on Thursday, the Interfax agency reports.
"Last week the number of ceasefire violations, seen by the OSCE mission, has risen by 160% comparing to the previous situation. This is the biggest number of shellings since the beginning of the year," he claimed during a briefing in Kyiv.
In these zones, the situation is extremely tense, he added.
Hug: Last week SMM recorded 3,444 explosions caused by mortars, tanks, artillery & multiple launch rocket systems – highest ever recorded pic.twitter.com/Hpx7RImdfA— OSCE SMM Ukraine (@OSCE_SMM) November 17, 2016
The greatest share of these violations are mortar, tank, anti-aircraft and artillery fire, he also said.
"Let's notice that most of these impacts are not just a statistics, most of them take place around the densely populated areas...the mass violence is happening near Mariupol, Mariinka and Popasna,", he told.
The death toll among the civilians has risen twice, the figures provided by the OSCE reveal.
"The figures demonstrate increasing violence. It must be stopped, crucial steps must be made, and one of them must be a full-scale implementation of the framework agreement on weapons and troops withdrawal designed by The Triliteral contact group on September 21st," the OSCE mission deputy head noted.
The troops and weapons withdrawal near Petrivske and Zolote is actually being conducted, Alexander Hug also reported. Although no ceasefire is achieved in near the town of Stanitsa Luhanska, according to him.
"The sides are 300 metres away from each other, and every day our observers see the explosion holes. The troops must be pulled back," Hug noted.