12:38 Mar. 16, 2016
Monitors confirm Ukraine troops come under militant attack in Luhansk region
OSCE Special Monitoring Mission (SMM) continues to observe numerous ceasefire violations in Donetsk and Luhansk regions. The monitors claim they're still being prevented from accessing certain areas which are not under Ukrainian military control, says the mission's latest report, published on March 15.
The OSCE has also confirmed that combined Russian-separatist forces shell Ukrainian troops using banned heavy weapons:
"At a Ukrainian Armed Forces fortified defensive position near government-controlled Novotoshkivske (53km north-west of Luhansk), the SMM observed four fresh craters, each one metre in diameter", the OSCE SMM's report concerning the situation in eastern Ukraine says.
"Based on crater analysis conducted by the SMM on two of them, and examination of a spent projectile at the scene, the SMM assessed that rounds from a 73mm recoilless gun (SPG-9) had been fired from the direction of "LPR"-controlled Donetskyi (49km north-west of Luhansk)", the report says.
Militant attacks are on the rise in eastern Ukraine. On March 15 combined Russian-separatist forces attacked Ukrainian army positions 42 times using mortars, anti-aircraft guns, rocket-propelled grenades, heavy machine guns, etc.