: Savchenko to resume hunger strike without water if extradition delayed – lawyer
News14:16 May. 4, 2016

Savchenko to resume hunger strike without water if extradition delayed – lawyer

The extradition procedure is expected to take from six to twelve months

Ukrainian pilot Nadiya Savchenko, who was sentenced to 22 years in prison in Russia, may resume her hunger strike without water if her extradition to Ukraine has been delayed, according to Savchenko's lawyer Nikolai Polozov.

Read also Savchenko's extradition won't take six months - lawyer

"Nadezhda herself cannot wait for long. She has clearly announced this. If there is any delay, I don't rule out that she may resume 'dry' hunger strike," Polozov, who helped Savchenko fill in documents for extradition last week, told Ukrainian Channel 5.

"The usual procedure takes from six to 12 months. This term is absolutely unacceptable to her," he added.

He expressed hope that the Russian authorities would not go for the maximum terms of the bureaucratic procedure related to Savchenko's extradition and would shorten the period as much as possible.

Read also Sentsov, Kolchenko sign papers for extradition from Russia – lawyer

"If one speaks about realistic terms, this is either one, two or three months the longest," he added.

A Russian court on March 22 sentenced Savchenko to 22 years in prison for the alleged murder of Russian journalists who were illegally working in the east of Ukraine in 2014.

Read also Savchenko's release expected by the end of summer - lawyer

On April 24, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko announced he had agreed with his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin on the terms of Savchenko's release.

Her lawyer Polozov said on April 29 that his client had filled in all the necessary documents to be extradited from Russia to Ukraine.

Reporting by UNIAN

comments powered by Disqus


News14:10 Oct. 20, 2016
Russia predicts 20 years of economic stagnation
News11:09 Oct. 20, 2016
30 attacks in conflict zone overnight
News16:15 Oct. 18, 2016
Moscow distances itself from Motorola
News14:41 Oct. 18, 2016
Three Ukrainians ‘convicted' by militants for espionage
News13:52 Oct. 18, 2016
War in Donbas unchanged after Motorola's death
Subscribe to receive regular email updates about Ukraine and Eastern Europe