: Azerbaijan and Armenia continue military conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh

14:24 Apr. 4, 2016

Azerbaijan and Armenia continue military conflict in Nagorno-Karabakh

An Armenian covers his ears while a howitzer fires at an artillery position of the self-defence army of Nagorno-Karabakh near Martakert, Azerbaijan, April 3, 2016. (AP Photo)

Azerbijani officials claim Armenian command centre destroyed in the fighting

An Armenian command center has been destroyed in the military clashes in Nagorno-Karabakh, a separatist region in western Azerbaijan. This is according to an official statement made by the Azerbaijani Ministry of Defence on April 4.

"A number of [Armenian] military servicemen have been killed in a counter fire, including several officers," said in the report.

Baku also claims the Yerevan-backed combatants have breached the ceasefire 121 times during the last 24 hours.

An Armenian official, in turn, accuses Baku of bombarding the "Nagorno-Karabakh army of defence." Artsrun Ovanesyan says the most intensive attacks have happened this morning. Grad multi-missile launchers and 152-mm artillery have been used to target the positions of the Yerevan-backed forces.

The flare-up in the Armenian-Azerbaijan conflict happened on April 1. The on-going fighting left at least 30 servicemen from both countries dead, more than 200 wounded. United Nations report 3 civilians were also killed in the shootings. UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has urged Baku and Yerevan to "immediately stop hostility and respect the ceasefire."

Read also Ceasefire violations raise tensions in 25-year-old 'frozen' Nagorno-Karabakh conflict

Nagorno-Karabakh lies inside Azerbaijan but is controlled by ethnic Armenians. As the Soviet Union broke apart in 1991, it was the site of a bloody separatist war. Open hostilities came to an end in 1994, after the deaths of nearly 30,000 people. Since then, the mountainous, landlocked region has run its own affairs with heavy military and financial backing from Armenia.

RELATED NEWS

Politics19:29 Dec. 8, 2016
No obstacles for visa-free regime left - Ukrainian FM
Politics19:00 Dec. 8, 2016
Poland claimes Smolensk crash victim body was replaced
Politics18:33 Dec. 8, 2016
Putin and Assad 'creating new generation of terrorists', MI6 warns
Politics17:40 Dec. 8, 2016
Two-thirds of Donbas refugees will never get back home - Tuka
Politics17:33 Dec. 8, 2016
Aleppo battle: Rebels fight back, but ask to let civilians out
Ukraine Today WEEKLY DIGEST
Subscribe to receive regular email updates about Ukraine and Eastern Europe
vk154998