15:43 Jun. 17, 2016
New measures will be taken in attempt to reduce violence in Donbas region
Advisers to the Presidents of the Normandy Four countries went to Minsk last Wednesday, June 15, to discuss the security situation in Donbas. The recent violence escalation topped their agenda as the shooting claimed the lives of both civilians and servicemen.
Earlier OSCE in its report said, the warrying sides had come too close to each other, and new deescalation measures had to be taken immediately. And in Minsk the officials agreed upon a new disengagement plan which could significantly reduce the violence.
According to the agreement, Ukrainian forces and the separatists have to retreat from their positions in several key areas.
"So far we have approved the first three locations, and we have briefed the experts and the servicemen to make this decision come into force in the nearest future", Ukraine's rep in Minsk Kostiantyn Yelisieiev said.
According to the peace talkers, the sides have to withdraw from their positions till July 1. If the plan is successful, the forces in other locations are to follow the example of their comrades.
Due to the incessant fighting in the Donbas warzone Ukraine has lost 623 soldiers since the beginning of the year. Overall 2,491 Ukrainian servicemen died over the past two years of the war in eastern Ukraine. The non-combat death toll is also notably high adding up to 1,294 servicemen.