Ukraine Under Attack: OSCE reports sharp increase in fighting with 7,000 ceasefire violations last week

17:01 Nov. 11, 2016

OSCE reports sharp increase in fighting with 7,000 ceasefire violations last week

OSCE observers inspect a damaged car near Shyrokyne village, eastern Ukraine,  March 30, 2015 (AP photo)

Security situation deteriorates as heavy artillery is back on the contact line

The conflict in eastern Ukraine is on the brink of a major escalation as the security situation deteriorated sharply over the past week, the OSCE warned on Friday.

"Over the last few days the SMM has witnessed particularly fierce fighting in hot spots throughout Donbas," Alexander Hug, the OSCE SMM's Principal Deputy Chief Monitor told a briefing in Kyiv on November 11.

Hug said that more than 7,000 ceasefire violations were registered last week with over 2,000 explosions occurring daily. The monitors recorded a high number of "particularly troubling" incidents involving the use of weapons prohibited by the Minsk agreements, including Grad multiple-launch rocket systems.

"Last week the number of explosions from multiple launch rocket systems, mortar, artillery fire increased by 50% from the previous week," he said.

In particular, last week the monitors observed 140 rockets fired by the Grad MLRS near the village of Shyrokyne, some 20 km east of Mariupol. Grad rockets were also fired in the Luhansk region of eastern Ukraine.

The situation has also deteriorated in Donetsk region.

"This week the situation escalated across the contact line. On Tuesday we recorded 340 explosions in one hour near Debaltseve, 193 mortar round explosions in 50 minutes near Svitlodarsk, 30 seconds of continuous Grad salvos near Horlivka, 83 explosions in just over 10 minutes in Yasynuvata, and 70 rocket-assisted projectiles in just 3 minutes in Shyrokyne," Hug specified.

The Deputy Chief monitor called on the sides to stop "pointing fingers at each other" and remember their commitments as the price paid by the civilian population is extremely high.

Read more Pullback of forces in Donbas: Pains, gains and new threats

Hug also reported a small portion of positive news that the ceasefire is largely holding in the two of the three disengagement areas – in Zolote and Petrivske.

However, in Stanytsia Luhanska the sides have not commenced the disengagement process which was repeatedly postponed due to heavy fighting.

comments powered by Disqus

RELATED NEWS

Politics17:50 Dec. 5, 2016
Ukraine amongst world's top 10 weapons exporters - SIPRI
Politics16:57 Dec. 5, 2016
Another Russian nurse died after shelling in Aleppo
Politics16:00 Dec. 5, 2016
Ukrainian para's have undertaken training by British instructors (photos)
Politics14:20 Dec. 5, 2016
Situation in eastern Ukraine remains extremely serious – Stoltenberg
Politics13:53 Dec. 5, 2016
BREAKING: Russian nurse killed in Syria (UPDATED)
Ukraine Today WEEKLY DIGEST
Subscribe to receive regular email updates about Ukraine and Eastern Europe
vk154998