: Russia tests new weapons and equipment in field conditions – Putin

18:59 May. 12, 2016

Russia tests new weapons and equipment in field conditions – Putin

Russian President Vladimir Putin and Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu observe the exhibition of military vehicles after the meeting with Defense Ministry officials and military industry representatives on May 12, 2016 in Sochi, Russia (Getty Images)

Eastern Ukraine and Syria become a testing ground for Kremlin's military capabilities

Russian President Vladimir Putin says his country actively uses its modernized military equipment and weaponry in combat conditions.

"You know what I mean," Putin reportedly told a meeting dedicated to the work of the Russian defence industry enterprises, according to the UNIAN correspondent in Moscow.

"New weapons and equipment are actively used, they undergo trials during combat readiness inspections of units, exercises, drills, in paramilitary competitions, and often in combat operations," Putin said.

"I must say that the performance is generally good," Russia's president added.

Read also Russia's Satan II: West worried as Russia boasts of its world's biggest ICBM

Putin stressed that the 2015 state defence order was 97% fulfilled and called to look into the reasons for failure to implement the remaining 3%.

"The defence industry enterprises have in general conscientiously fulfilled their obligations, most of the weapons and equipment were delivered in full and on time," he said.

The Russian army received, among other, 96 planes, 81 helicopters, 152 air defense missile systems and 291 radar stations, etc.

Russia's military muscle was demonstrated recently during the Victory Day parade in Moscow. With the NATO-Russia relations hit the lowest level since the Cold War, the Kremlin is spending billions on modernizing its military arsenal and retraining the fighting force it inherited from the Soviet Union.

But, according to the experts, what makes Russia such a menacing military power is not its weaponry - but a willingness to deploy it internationally. Russia's five-day war with Georgia in 2008, the ongoing militarization of Crimea, the military actions in Donbas, and the recent air strikes in Syria are a good example of that.

comments powered by Disqus

RELATED NEWS

Politics20:20 Dec. 2, 2016
Russia transports Syrian chemical weapons to Crimea - Ukraine's report for NATO
Politics17:45 Dec. 2, 2016
EU Parliament to vote for suspension mechanism next week - RFE/RL
Politics16:40 Dec. 2, 2016
Russian, Ukrainian ships brawl in the Black Sea (photos, video)
Politics16:23 Dec. 2, 2016
Ukraine, Poland leaders talk historic truth, future cooperation
Politics15:15 Dec. 2, 2016
Ukraine stops water supply to militant-held Luhansk
Ukraine Today WEEKLY DIGEST
Subscribe to receive regular email updates about Ukraine and Eastern Europe
vk154998