18:19 Jul. 15, 2016
Police identify the attacker
UPDATE: Prosecutor François Molins gave an update on the victims and investigation, The Guardian reports.
The death toll remains 84, he said, and "202 people were injured including 52 who are now in critical care".
"Among these 52 people 25 are still in intensive care," he adds. He stressed the numbers are preliminary and they could increase.
Earlier French officials have revealed that 188 people hurt in the Bastille Day attack in Nice are being treated in hospitals, including 48 in intensive care.
Earlier in the day, France's President François Hollande said 50 are in critical condition "between life and death." French authorities are still identifying all the victims and trying to reach families.
Visiting the hospital Hollande commended the medics: "Emergency staff came in the middle of the night to intervene to save lives. They did everything they could to save lives. Their dedication was exemplary."
At least 84 people died, including more than 10 children, after a truck crushed them along on the Promenade des Anglais on late Thursday.
The attacker was identified by the police as 31-year-old Franco-Tunisian Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, his identity papers were found in the truck.
Investigators are trying to determine if he had accomplices. The incident is being treated as a terrorist attack, but no group has claimed responsibility.
French media reported that the killer was known to police for petty crime, and was not on any terrorist watchlist.